Changes to ELSST
The current version of ELSST was released on 21 September 2017. The previous version dates from 6 September 2016.
The following types of changes have been made since the previous release in September 2016. They were made to the English version and have been translated into most of the other 12 languages.
- New concepts: e.g. ALCOHOL SMUGGLING, COUNTERTERRORISM
- Concepts existing in HASSET added to ELSST: e.g. AMPHETAMINES, BLOGS, CHAT ROOMS, CYBERBULLYING, EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK, RESILIENCE, SCHOOL BULLYING, SOCIAL MEDIA
- Relabelling of PTs: e.g. DIET AND NUTRITION changed to FOOD AND NUTRITION, HEALTH CLUBS to GYM ATTENDANCE, SEXUAL ORIENTATION to SEXUALITY, NOISE POLLUTION to EXPOSURE TO NOISE, ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY to ENVIRONMENT POLICY, ABORTION (INDUCED) to ABORTION, INDUCED LABOUR (BIRTH) to LABOUR (INDUCED), STERILIZATION (SEX) to STERILIZATION (MEDICAL)
- Deletion of PTs: e.g. ALCOHOL LAW VIOLATIONS
- Promotion of UFs to PTs: e.g. DRUG DEALING, MOULD IN BUILDINGS
- Demotion of PTs to UFs: e.g. POLITICAL DOCTRINES (now UF of POLITICAL DOCTRINES), SEXUAL DIFFICULTIES (now UF of SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION)
- PT/UF switch: ELDER ABUSE (new PT)/ABUSE OF THE ELDERLY (new UF), POLICING (new PT)/POLICE ACTIVITIES (new UF)
- Relabelling of UFs: e.g. DAMP IN HOUSES changed to DAMP IN BUILDINGS, MASS (SACRAMENT) ATTENDANCE to ATTENDANCE AT MASS
- New UFs: GANJA, HASH, DOPE, MARIJUANA, POT are new UFs of CANNABIS; SAME SEX MARRIAGE is a new UF of MARRIAGE; POPS is a new UF of PERSISTENT ORGANIC POLLUTANTS
- Deletion of UFs: TRAINING (PHYSICAL FITNESS)
- Moving of UFs: e.g. DAMP IN BUILDINGS moved from HOUSING CONDITIONS to MOULD IN BUILDINGS; RAMBLING moved from HIKING to WALKING
- Addition and deletion of BT relationships: e.g. the BT POLICE ACTIVITIES of ARREST changed to the BT LAW ENFORCEMENT; the BT EUROPEAN AND ECONOMIC AND MONETARY UNION of EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK changed to the BT EUROPEAN UNION
- Notes: there are four types of notes - Scope Notes, Scope Notes Sources, Use Notes and History Notes. We started allocating the notes to the appropriate fields by e.g. splitting the existing Scope Notes in Scope Notes, Use Notes and History Notes. We also have updated the content of existing Scope Notes and created new Notes. Scope notes were added to for example AGEING, CITIZEN JOURNALISM, HARASSMENT, MOBILE PHONE RADIATION, PASSIVE SMOKING, RELIGIOSITY. Use notes were added to COMMISSIONS OF INQUIRY, HIKING, MOBILITY AIDS.
At present, facilities like e.g. introducing language-specific stemmers for searching and searching for words containing letters with and without diacritics have already been implemented. Further enhancements on our Thesaurus Management System (TMS), our User Interface, search and display options will be available soon.